About UpStream Art
Held every summer since 2016, UpStream Art is a project hosted by the City of Springfield in which artists are commissioned to paint inspirational murals around storm drains and sidewalks. These colorful creations raise awareness of the connection between city streets and local waterways while supporting artists and beautifying the city.
Tips for healthy streams
Springfield values our waterways for their natural beauty, recreational opportunities, and world-class fishing. We get a lot of rain and one of the biggest threats to the health of rivers like the Willamette is runoff from urban areas.
As rain water flows over surfaces like roofs, streets, and driveways, it collects common pollutants and washes them into storm drains and out to waterways, where they can harm plants, animals, and humans in the area.
You can keep waterways healthy with these simple tips:
- Always pick up after your pet. This prevents rain from washing harmful bacteria and pollutants into our waterways.
- Fix leaking vehicles. To trap toxic fluids, put a drip pan under leaks until your car can be repaired.
- Use natural gardening techniques like beneficial bugs, hand-removal of weeds, and compost. Avoid chemical weed, moss, and insect killers.
- Wash your car at a commercial car wash instead of at home. Car washes are plumbed to our wastewater treatment plant. At home the soap, dirt, and grease wash into our rivers and groundwater.
- Keep litter off streets and sidewalks before it washes down the storm drain.
Try a self-guided tour of UpStream Art
Click to enlarge
Currently 21 murals can be viewed by walking from downtown Springfield to the nearby Booth-Kelly Trailhead. See our mural map to select your favorite route.
The murals raise awareness of the importance of storm drains and their connection to our rivers. They are a reminder that each of us helps protect local waterways through simple, everyday actions.
For more information
Contact the City of Springfield’s Stormwater Team at WaterResources@springfield-or.gov or 541.746.3694.