The City of Springfield hosted a Bike Friendly Business Movie Night from 6:30-8 p.m. on Monday, June 3 at Springfield City Hall to encourage local businesses to learn more about how to become a bike friendly business and receive recognition for being so. Area restaurants, hotels, bike shops, and other retailers were invited to attend the event to learn more about the benefits of bike tourism, how to be a bike friendly business, and for assistance submitting a free application to Travel Oregon for recognition. An economic study in 2013 found that bicycle-related tourism contributes at least $400 million into Oregon’s economy annually.
The following Springfield businesses were recently recognized for being a Bike Friendly Business:
- Cornbread Café on Main Street
- Public House on A Street
- Planktown Brewing Co. on Main Street
- Simply Cycle on Main Street
The following are Springfield businesses who previously received recognition:
- 100 Mile Bakery on A Street
- City of Springfield City Hall on 5th Street
- Willamalane (various locations)
- Cascades & Coast Adventure Center at The Shoppes at Gateway
- Hutch’s Springfield Cyclery on Main Street
- Len’s Bikes on S. 20th Street
- McKenzie Orchards B&B Inn on McKenzie View Drive
- McKenzie River Lavender on McKenzie Highway
- Pig & Turnip on A Street
If you were unable to attend the June 3 event, you can apply anytime directly with Travel Oregon at http://industry.traveloregon.com/industry-resources/product-development/bike-friendly-business-program/.
What: Bike Friendly Business
Who: Local Businesses
Where: Visit TravelOregon.com to learn about program requirements and to apply; application cost is free
Background: Travel Oregon’s program highlights tourism oriented businesses including restaurants, hotels, information centers, bike shops, and retailers that offer bike friendly services to both visitors and locals. The program promotes the economic benefits of bike tourism in Oregon.
Additional Information: Emma Newman, City of Springfield, Senior Transportation Planner, 541.726.4585 or firstname.lastname@example.org